I developed this recipe for Food & Wine magazine. It’s a light and airy golden cupcake flavored with both vanilla bean and vanilla extract. The easy chocolate frosting makes it all come together irresistibly!
Chocolate-Frosted Double Vanilla Cupcakes
- For the cupcakes:
- 1½ cups Silvana’s Kitchen Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter or dairy-free buttery sticks, at room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise, seeds scraped
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup whole milk or dairy-free milk at room temperature
- For the frosting:
- 6 ounces milk chocolate or dairy-free dark chocolate finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter or dairy-free buttery sticks at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup
- ½ cup sour cream or dairy-free sour cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- Make the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- In another medium bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter and the granulated sugar at medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then beat in the vanilla bean seeds and vanilla extract. With the mixer at low speed, beat in half the flour mixture, then all of the milk, followed by the remaining flour mixture, until well combined.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake the cupcakes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting: In a large heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, whisk the chocolate with the butter and corn syrup until smooth; remove from the heat and let cool to almost room temperature, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the sour cream, salt and vanilla. Using a handheld electric mixer, gradually beat in the confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Spread the cupcakes with the frosting and serve.