Weeknight meals may be a challenge for us parents to get on the table, but it’s one of the most important family-building moments of each day—and that makes it worth the effort. For those crazy busy evenings, I like to have dinner in my back pocket. That means that I’ve prepared foods ahead of time that I can quickly assemble, heat and eat.
This Chicken-n-Waffles Casserole recipe is a healthy family favorite. You can prepare the baked crispy chicken ahead of time (and keep it handy in the freezer for later), the waffles are pre-cooked and the only thing you need to make is the gravy, which comes together in just a few minutes. What could be easier than that?
Please come say “hi” and let me know what you think about this recipe over in my online community, Silvana’s Kitchen. Thanks, as always, for reading and sharing!
For ingredient substitutions, please see the detailed chart at Gluten-Free 101.
Let’s get baking,
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for greasing
- 5 cups rice cereal crumbs (such as Erewhon)
- Salt and pepper
- 3 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons Silvana’s Kitchen Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups dairy-free creamer or milk
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- One 9-ounce package gluten-free plain waffles (toasted and cubed, such as Van's)
- Preheat the oven to 425º. Lightly grease a baking sheet with olive oil. In a shallow bowl, combine the cereal crumbs, 1½ teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. In another shallow bowl, beat the eggs. Coat a chicken tender with the cereal mixture, dip into the eggs, then coat again with the cereal mixture; place on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Bake until golden and cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350º and make the gravy: In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 1 minute. Sprinkle in the flour and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the creamer and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes; season with parsley, paprika, about ¾ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Grease an 8-by-8-inch baking dish. Toss together the chicken and waffle cubes, then pour over the gravy. Bake until bubbly and golden, about 25 minutes.