Which Girl Scout cookie is your fave? No need to choose between the classics—all the recipes are yours for the baking…
Welcome to Girl Scout Cookie Week here at Silvana’s Kitchen! Starting on Monday, I started posting recipes for gluten-free, dairy-free DIY Girl Scout Cookie. Next up—Samoas!
Get all of the Girl Scout cookie recipes!
TUESDAY: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Thin Mints
WEDNESDAY: Gluten-Free, Dairy Free Samoas
THURSDAY: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Tagalongs
FRIDAY: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Do-Si-Dos
For ingredient substitutions, please see the detailed chart at GLUTEN-FREE 101 or ask me on FACEBOOK.
Let’s get cooking,
DIY Girl Scout Cookie Week: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Samoas
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated shortening or unsalted butter at room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2½ cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 14 ounces about 40 dairy-free caramel candies, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free milk or milk
- 1 pound sweetened coconut toasted
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, beat together ½ cup of the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, then add in the vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch and 1 teaspoon salt. Add to the shortening mixture; mix until combined. Form the dough into a ball; divide into 2 disks. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out the dough to a 1/8-inch thickness and cut out, using a 1½-inch cookie cutter. Place cookies about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet; bake until golden around the edges, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a 2-quart saucepan over low heat, melt the caramels with the milk, stirring frequently. When smooth, reserve ¼ cup of the caramel. Add the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and the toasted coconut; stir to coat. Remove from the heat.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using an offset spatula, spread the tops and sides of the cookies with the reserved caramel and set on the prepared baking sheet. Let cookies stand for 45 minutes.
- Using a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt together the chocolate chips and remaining 2 tablespoons shortening until smooth. Remove from the heat.
- Dip the bottom of each cookie in the chocolate coating and return to the baking sheet. Then, using a spoon, drizzle the remaining chocolate in stripes on the cookie tops.