Countdown to 2014 Cookbook Giveaway: Day 6
This year I wanted to share my favorite cookbooks and health-focused books of 2013 with you from some of my friends. Since it’s the holiday season, they’ve decided to generously give away a copy of their books along with a recipe (see below!) starting today until the new year! Thanks to all of you for participating! To enter for your chance to win a book, just leave a comment below. The winner will be selected at random on January 2, 2014 and books will be mailed out to each winner shortly thereafter. Please note: This giveaway is available to U.S. residents only.
1/2/14: Please note that this giveaway ended on 1/1/14. All comments are now closed. Thanks for visiting!
Now, I’d like to introduce my sixth guest and her book!
WHO: Kelly Brozyna, The Spunky Coconut
BOOK: THE PALEO CHOCOLATE LOVER’S COOKBOOK: 80 Gluten-Free Treats for Breakfast & Dessert (Victory Belt Publishing, 2013)
RECIPE: Paleo, Gluten-Free Chocolate Pie with Raw Graham Cracker Crust
1 cup (100 g) walnut halves and pieces
1/4 cup (about 4) soft, pitted Medjool dates
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of sea salt
1 cup coconut cream*
1/2 cup (about 8) soft, pitted Medjool dates
3 ounces dark chocolate, melted
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* Use the cream at the top of a can of separated full-fat coconut milk, such as Natural Value brand (which is BPA-free). To get it to separate, refrigerate a couple of cans overnight.
- To make the crust, in a food processor with an S blade, purée the walnuts, dates, cinnamon, and salt for about 20 seconds or until very fine.
- Transfer the crust mixture to a glass pie dish, and press it across the bottom and halfway up the sides.
- Rinse the food processor.
- In a small saucepan, heat the coconut cream just slightly.
- Add the heated coconut cream, dates, chocolate, coconut oil, and vanilla extract to the food processor, and purée for 1 minute or until the filling is dark and completely smooth.
- Pour the filling over the crust, and chill to set.
- When you’re ready to serve the pie, top it with whipped coconut cream.
- Store the pie in the refrigerator.