Countdown to 2014 Cookbook Giveaway: Day 4
This year I wanted to share my favorite cookbooks and health-focused books of 2013 with you from some of my friends. Since it’s the holiday season, they’ve decided to generously give away a copy of their books along with a recipe (see below!) starting today until the new year! Thanks to all of you for participating! To enter for your chance to win a book, just leave a comment below. The winner will be selected at random on January 2, 2014 and books will be mailed out to each winner shortly thereafter. Please note: This giveaway is available to U.S. residents only.
1/2/14: Please note that this giveaway ended on 1/1/14. All comments are now closed. Thanks for visiting!
Now, I’d like to introduce my fourth guest and her book!
WHO: Kyra Bussanich, KYRA’S BAKE SHOP
BOOK: SWEET CRAVINGS: 50 Seductive Desserts for a Gluten-Free Lifestyle (Ten Speed Press, 2013)
RECIPE: Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Truffle Crispy Rice Bars
Crispy Rice Layer
1/4 cup / 57 g butter
1 (10-ounce) bag / 283 g jumbo marshmallows (I like Kraft ?Jet-Puffed)
2 teaspoons / 10 g vanilla extract
8 cups / 283 g gluten-free crispy rice cereal (such as Erewhon)
Peanut Butter Layer
2 cups / 284 g confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 cup / 269 g creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup / 113 g butter
1 teaspoon / 5 g vanilla extract
2 cups / 352 g dark chocolate
1/4 cup / 57 g butter
- Spray an 8 by 11-inch baking pan with gluten-free cooking spray and set aside.
- To make the crispy rice layer, melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the ?butter browns, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the marshmallows and vanilla and stir continuously until the marshmallows are melted. Remove from heat and stir in the cereal. Pour entire contents into the baking pan. Wet or grease your hands and pat down the cereal so it is level and compact. Freeze for ?15 minutes to cool and set.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, combine all the ingredients for the peanut butter layer and blend on low speed. Remove the crispy rice layer from the freezer and spread the peanut butter filling evenly over it. Freeze until firm to the touch, 30 to 60 minutes.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, or over a double boiler, melt the chocolate and butter for the chocolate layer and stir together until smooth. If using the microwave, heat at 30-second intervals, stirring well in between each interval. Working quickly, spread the chocolate evenly over the peanut butter layer. If the peanut butter is cold, the chocolate will set quickly.
- Freeze the pan again, 15 to 30 minutes, as it will be much easier to cut if the peanut butter layer is firm. Cut into bars and serve cold or at room temperature.
Reprinted with permission from Sweet Cravings: 50 Seductive Desserts for a Gluten-Free Lifestyle by Kyra Bussanich (Ten Speed Press, © 2013). Photo Credit: Leela Cyd